{{ location.label }}
{{ location.label }}
Where are you flying from?
Where are you flying to?
When are you leaving?
Wow, you love travelling! Unfortunately we can only deal with up to 10 airports at a time...
Please choose a date in the future. When we offer time travel we’ll let you know.
Time traveller, eh? Please make sure your return date is after your departure date.
We can only deal with flights within the next 12 months, you’re way more organised than us.
Search to anywhere cannot be combined with specific dates.

KLM baggage allowance 2012

Back to news

Fotolia_54944557_XS.jpg

In today's post from our new series bringing you the baggage policy of popular airlines, we are taking a look at the baggage allowance of KLM.

We start off with the cabin baggage rules.

KLM carry-on baggage allowance

As an economy class flyer travelling with KLM, you are allowed to carry onto the plane one piece of cabin baggage not exceeding 55×25×35 cm or 21.5×10×13.5 inch (L x W x H). This is not all – in addition to the above-mentioned, you can have one small accessory (a camera, a handbag, a briefcase, a small laptop etc). Bear in mind that the total weight of all items you carry on board cannot be larger than 12 kg/26 lb.

Travelling with a small child? Feel free to take a small collapsible buggy as hand baggage provided there is enough space on board.

A good tip! Find out more about the check-in options offered by KLM

KLM checked baggage allowance

For most routes, passengers are allowed to take item of baggage up to 23 kg/50.5 lb , not larger that 158 cm/62 in. There is however a number of long-haul routes where the allowance is bigger, that is to say 2 pieces of baggage with maximum weight 23 kg/50.5 lb and not exceeding 158 cm/62 in.

Among the flights entitling to the bigger allowance are flights to Cuba (e.g. Havana) or Ecuador (e.g. Quito) and more. For a full overview go to the official website of KLM. The exception here are flights originating from Brazil where the weight allowance is 32 kg/70.5 lb.

KLM excess baggage rules

fee zone 1 zone 2 zone 3 zone 4
2nd item (if the standard allowance is 1 item) 55 55 75 100
each additional piece 200 200 200 200
weight 23 – 32 kg 55 55 75 100
Each piece heavier than 32 kg* 20 75 300 300

You may need a little explanation of the zone system: the first zone are flights within France and the Netherlands, the second zone means flights within Europe whereas the third zone are e.g. flights to/from USA and Canada as well as long-haul routes to and from Europe. If you need more detailed information, again please go to the carrier's website. As for the currency – it is Euro (European flights), CAD (Canadian flights) or USD (otherwise).

Comments

• Merle naylor

about 1 year ago

I thought the baggage allowance was just fine, the ticket was so cheap I could easily afford the extra 20 euros for the check in bag.

People these days are so spoiled; think it's their right to fill the skies with them and their kilos of clobber.

KLM..... Thank you for a most excellent service and wonderful staff. Given the choice I would never use any other airline.

No complaints from me - ten out of ten!!

• Charles

about 2 years ago

There is no clear information on the allowance (s) that a passenger is entitled to in klm website
    Apart from the hand luggage , can one take 2 pieces of 23 bags to Nigeria ?
    Please I need a feedback .

• Alfred

about 2 years ago

Hello, this is the first time I am travelling with KLM to lagos next week and purchased my tickets through travellord but they are unable to confirm if i can upgrade my seat to extra leg room. Does anyone know how to do it or any suggestion will be appreciated. thank you

• AWO COLEMAN

about 2 years ago

HI, I am traveling to Ghana next month with KLM, I want to know if I am allowed 2 × 23 kg or one, and how many kg for hand luggage, please I need to know asap, thanks

• Edwin

about 2 years ago

Hi, I'm traveling from London to Abuja, Nigeria. I have an extra baggage. It weighs 10kg. Will I pay for for just the 10kg extra or for 23kg? #UrgentPls

• Belinda

about 2 years ago

Hi, I will be travelling next month from Germany to Kenya and I got 2 suit cases each weighing 23kg. Can I also have an extra handbag weighing 10kg.

• Petra

about 2 years ago

Hello,
    you can find the latest info and all the details at http://www.klm.com/…ce/index.htm

• Oluwole omoniyi

about 2 years ago

How much is extra luggage from Canada to Lagos pls am travelling next month

• Oluwole omoniyi

about 2 years ago

How much is extra luggage from Canada to Lagos pls am travelling next month

• anne

about 2 years ago

How much is theexcess bagage of 23kg to zimbabwe. And the allowance hand bagage.

• Petra

about 2 years ago

Hello.
    you can check all the details for your routes at http://www.klm.com/…ce/index.htm#p3 where KLM has the latest info.

• LAYLA

about 2 years ago

MY DAUGHTER WILL BE TRAVELING VIA KLM FROM MANILA, PHILIPPINES TO SURINAME, MAY WE KNOW WHAT IS HER FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE?

• Sihle

about 3 years ago

I'm travelling to zimbabwe I understand that we can carry two 35kg bags per person is this correct. This advice came from Thompson where we booked our flight from

• Tina

about 3 years ago

I am traveling to Zambia with KLM. I have 2 bags, do I have to pay for the second bag?

• Pip

about 3 years ago

I am flying from Australia with Southern China, but the final leg of my trip is code shared with KLM, Southern China allows me 2 x 23kg bags, so if I have 2 bags will this be ok for the final flight with KLM, or will I be charged excess?

• Petra

about 3 years ago

Hi bridget,
    the best way is to check with the airline directl. According to their website, your flight is in Zone 4 which means you are allowed to take 2 bags for free and the third bag costs you €200 - you can check the details at http://www.klm.com/…econcept.htm

• bridget enato.

about 3 years ago

I am travelling from Nigeria to Antwerp with KLM, i already have a third bag. Please what is the kilo for the third bag and the fee for it.

• Petra

about 3 years ago

Hello Adebola,
    you can bring 2 bags for free. As your flight to Nigeria belongs to Zone 4 flights, the third bag is expensive - it should cost €200. You can check the details at http://www.klm.com/…econcept.htm

• Adebola Omisakin

about 3 years ago

How much do I need to pay for one extra baggage to Nigeria. Please come back to me asap as I need to book my flight.
    bolaomis@hotmail.co.uk Thanks

• Petra

about 3 years ago

Hello Erwin,
    I would recommend you to read the KLM's rules to check exact allowances http://www.klm.com/…ce/index.htm

• Erwin

about 3 years ago

im traveling to from berlin to manila. will it be a problem if i have 24kls check in luggage and 12kls carry on bag with computer, cd's, etc... aside from my small shoulder body bag?

• Petra

about 3 years ago

Hello Mrs jay Govender,
    it should't be a problem if you are able to put the tocking horse into your 23kgs luggage. If not you should check the details as you will propably have to pay an extra fee for special baggage http://www.klm.com/…ge/index.htm

• Mrs jay Govender

about 3 years ago

I am visiting my 1st grandchild in Norway for her 1st birthday in July. Can I take a rocking horse as a gift for her from SA. Please let me know. I will be gone for 5 weeks. Taking with me 23 kgs luggage and 7 kgs carryon.
    Thank u.

• Petra

Hello Elizabeth,

you can find all details about extra luggage at http://www.klm.com/…ce/index.htm#p2

• Iwot, Elizabeth

about 4 years ago

I want to travel to USA and I want to carry extra luggage, what is going to be the allowed weight?

• jia

about 4 years ago

i want to take two laptops for my trip from paris to nicaragua .am i allowed

• Pat Varn

about 4 years ago

Hey,pls i want to know the number of suitcases that can be allowed. one or two.from Sweden to Uganda. Do you mean each suitcase must atleast weigh 23kgs that is 46 for that all luggage?

• S.B.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your question. The way I understand the rules, the special regulations for South America apply only to Brazil and Ecuador. Parenthetically, travellers from Brazil usually get more generous allowance from many carriers for one reason or another.
    As for the zones, they are as follows:

1:Within France and the Netherlands
    Within the Caribbean (only Air France flights)

2: Within Europe (including Armenia, Russia (west of Urals), Turkey and Ukraine)
    Between Europe and Israel
    Between Europe and North Africa (Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia)
    KLM flights between:
    Muscat – Doha (and the other way around)
    Damman – Kuwait
    Abu Dhabi – Bahrain
    Kuala Lumpur – Jakarta (and the other way around)
    Singapore – Denpasar (and vice versa)

3: To/from the United States or Canada
    Between Europe and the Middle East, including Egypt and Libya
    Between Europe and India

4: other countries

Hope it helps!

• Anna Publia

about 4 years ago

On the checked baggage allowances don't mentioned other South America countries eg: Bolivia. Is the tariff and weigh, are the same as the Brazil?

In the excess of baggage rules what fee zone 1,2,3,4 means?

Please can I have the answers?. Thank you

• mariam

pls what is the total cost of an extra 23kg

• Jay

about 4 years ago

If I have one check-in bag, one hand carry suitcase, a backpack, and a small clarinet case, will I be told off and asked to get rid of one of my pieces of cabin baggage? Or will they make an exception. Both my parents and I have a silver Flying Blue membership, will that help?

• S.B.

Hi dt,
    Thanks for asking. The allowance for flights to and from Nigeria is 2 items of check-in baggage, each max. 23 kg, max. 158 cm on both KLM and AIR FRANCE.
    Other than that, it may be helpful to know that the baggage allowance is always stated on your ticket.

good luck and thanks for reading our blog!

• × Comment was deleted
  • dt

about 4 years ago

pls i want to know the number of suitcases that can be allowed. one or two.from london to nigeria

• Law Abiding Citizen

about 4 years ago

The rules are the rules. One has the option of buying a KLM ticket or not buying a KLM ticket. It is the choice of the customer.If you do not like KLM's baggage regulations then fly with another carrier

• Manuchehr qorbani

I have 1 extra baggage

• S.Budziak

Hi Syed Shah Saud,

As far as I know it is something of a rule that one is entitled to some form of compensation insofar as it is the airline that lost the baggage. As for details, I guess you should contact the customer service of the carrier as fast as possible.

good luck!

• syed shah saud

about 4 years ago

am working in merchant navy while traveling from delhi to aruba i lost my baggage in klm flight ,,can anybody tell me ,,ill get the compensation .....ill got baggage claim ..i have the recipt given by airport

• S.Budziak

Hi Derya,
    The way I understand the rules, 1 item of checked baggage up to 23 kg is included in the ticket price in economy on most routes. There are some special routes to a number of destinations e.g. in Caribbean where the allowance is a bit more generous. The detailed info is on the website of KLM as we try to stick to the essentials.
    As fas as the hand baggage is concerned, you're permitted to 1 item up to 12 kg and one of the following items: handbag, briefcase, camera, small laptop, or 1 other item of something similar.

Good luck!

• Derya

about 4 years ago

Is it 20 kilos one piece and 12 kilos hand laggage plus small bag ???
    never travelled with klm very confused and worried now reading all the above :-/

• S.Budziak

about 5 years ago

Hi Beatrice,

I got to say - wow, this was a bit of a story which I guess you should not leave like that. Based on what you wrote, the mistake was on the part of the carrier so they owe you at least some kind of apology. If I were in your shoes, I would submit an official complaint. If it remained unanswered, I would then try to get it published as a guest post on a popular travel or aviation website just for them to realise they should not mess with customers!
    Incidentally, as should be apparent from the comments above, you are not the only customer dissatisfied with KLM. Good luck!

• Beatrice Florence Ikilai

about 5 years ago

My complaint is these customer service officers 'SKY TEAM AT HEATHROW' tossed me on the two pices of hand laggae that I came with from USA until the plane left me then they released me ion knowing that I couldnot board the plane. the plane left me and the worse thing is that I was refered to the KLM trasfer desk that was not of help I thought they would trasfer me to the next available KLM flight since it was their mistake, instead I was sent to the Ticket Re-booking desk and was charged 88 pounds with administration fee for the next flight that is only wednesday 30th 2012.
    What is wrong with KLM? WHY DONT YOU SYNCHRONISE YOUR BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE ISSUES AND POLICIES.
    I NEED A REFUND OF MY 88 pounds, a fee for inconvinience otherwise I will call for a protest for your kind of poor customer service that seems to be going to the dogs!

• Beatrice Florence Ikilai

about 5 years ago

Returning from USA to UK through Uk- Heathrow stayed one night in London. Checking in at Heathrow 28th May 2012 at 5: 30 am, check in laggage had no problem the KLM customer service officesr at the cehckin area said I was only entitled to one pice of hand laggage. they check and tested the size and weight they insisted that I was only entiled to one piece of hand laggage, and that the second pice has to be retained to be destroyed by security. the hand laggage had my Ipad with other accessories that I couldnot leave for security to 'destroy' actually they dont destroy I later discovered that its taken and claimed by the same security operatives and on further enquiry actually these items end uo in shelves in other stores.

• Beatrice Florence Ikilai

about 5 years ago

Attention Office in Charge KLM customer service management. I have a complaint to make. I have found the customer care management apaling. I travelled from Entebbe Uganda 5th amay 2012 to UK. UK to USA The customer service management staff at Heathrow were saying that I was only entitled to one piece of laggae and that the extra piec I have to pay an extra fee for the 2nd piec of laggage. I was dumb founded I made noise until they allowed the 2ne piec of laggage.

• I.Ginwalla

about 5 years ago

I agree with above comments. Other Airlines are allowing
    30 kilos on economy ctlass. At present the taxes have gone
    up & fares as well. KLM should consider allowing 30 kilos
    for economy class. Hope KLM management will review this
    Request.
    Thanks.

• Whichairline.com

about 5 years ago

Hi guys,
    As much as we sympathize with you, we cannot do anything about even the most horrendous baggage policy of any airline. The reason is that we are not in touch with airlines let alone with the management of any airline. I am sure the carrier you frequently fly with will appreciate your feedback. Thanks for visiting our website!

• william

about 5 years ago

just to let the management of klm to know they are not be fair to passsengers travelling to africa; The reason is at least 30 kilo instead of 23 kilo per baggage. PLEASE CONSIDER AFRICA PASSENGERS. Thanks for your co -operation.

• YINKA

about 5 years ago

THINK IT REDUCULOSE AT LEAST GIVE 30KG GOING ABROUD YOU GIVE FAMILY GIFTS AND THAT BY THE TIME U PACK YOUR LOAD THERE NOT ENOUGH KILLO LEFT